Finding and training your future stars

Isolation as an Apprentice

Starting Off staff have been working from home for two weeks now. As their Apprentice Recruitment Administrator, this is starting to feel like the new normal! I have learnt that the best thing to do is to make sure that I have a routine to follow each day to keep my mind off the situation that we are currently in.

My day starts at 7:30 am when I get up and jump straight in the shower. I make sure that I then make myself some breakfast, because I am usually hungry by 8 am, haha. Just before I'm due to start work I get myself dressed- realistically I'm only putting on some joggers and a jumper, but I make sure that I get dressed to make it feel more ‘normal’ and I'm ready to work. Just before I start work I quickly do my skincare routine, as at the moment my skin seems to hate me.

By 9 am I'm ready to start my workday. The morning is started by a team meeting, this is where we discuss with each other our plans for the day and how we can help each other out. We do this using software called Teams. I usually then work until about 11:am when I just have a walk around the house and pop outside for some fresh air. I have made sure that I am giving myself regular breaks to step away from my laptop. Usually, when I am in the office we all get up to make drinks and speak to our colleagues. After that, I then continue to work.

About 12:30 I take my lunch break, this is usually when I go for a walk to clear my head and get out of the house for a bit. If I don’t feel like going out at lunch I make sure that I do some exercise instead.

My day then carries on as normal. I go back to work until 5:30pm. In the afternoon I also make sure at around half three I go for a walk around the house and usually ask my mum what’s for dinner after work! I'm keeping my normal work routines of four days of work. I also ensure that I do the work that I would usually do in the training room as well as my other tasks to build my knowledge. At the moment I am keeping my Fridays free to do this.

The biggest challenge for me is to stay positive and to carry on as normal. To make sure I'm doing this I am keeping a journal of how I am feeling, creating a scrapbook of my favourite memories and making sure that I am going on walks every day. This is an unusual time for everyone just now - so keeping a routine and trying to remain positive is how I am getting through this. We will return to ‘normal’ soon, but until then I have adapted my routine and behaviour to working from home.